Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cake, check. Candles, check. Braincells.... ???

Today didn't go exactly like I imagined it would. I guess I imagined Michael would want what I had wanted as a kid. Lots of attention & goodies. Instead, after the treasure hunt I (and Joshua a little) created was over, and he found the NDS Zelda game, all he wanted to do was play on the computer or NDS by himself. I resigned myself to that, and Mike took off with Joshua. Nathaniel got a good nap and I was able to finish the book Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer. It was spellbinding. I kept checking on Michael periodically, and he was just thrilled with the unlimited electronics time I was giving him. To bad that will be over tomorrow. :) Later, we had exactly the dinner he requested, and then presents. What's a birthday without presents?

But the party isn't over yet. As I write I’m gearing up (mentally) for my first kid birthday party tomorrow. It’s going to be at the pool of all things. But, it’s Michael’s 8th birthday, and that’s special. I just couldn’t say no – and I really didn’t want to anyway. I think I may be more excited about it than he is.

On another note, Joshua is fun as ever. You’d think a 5-year-old would be over the “NO!” thing, but he’s just getting really good at it:
“Hey Josh do you want to help me?"
"No!"
Hey, Josh do you want to play outside?"
"No!"
"Joshua, do you want a cookie?"
"No!" Pause "Yes!"
"Joshua do you want to say no?"
"N-- Mama!!"
I probably shouldn't but I think it's hilarious. It is most likely just fueling his drive to say no, but I can't help it. I snicker almost every time.

And Nathaniel. In all of this Nathaniel is learning more than ever. He is able to stand by himself longer now and I can see it won't be long till he can walk. He's also learned he HATES his crib. Hates is an understatement. Loathes with every particle of his being would be a more accurate description I think. Every time I put him in there still even partially awake, he gets up and screams till I get him out. And if I put him in asleep, he screams as soon as he wakes.
I think he's figured out that if he fusses enough, Mama comes to get him, nurses him, and will fall asleep next to him. Sucker that I am, it works every time. Maybe it's time for that toddler bed. Then at least he'd have to come and get ME in the middle of the night.

No comments: