Friday, August 1, 2008

"English, m@#!$%*#, do you speak it??"

As a mother of 3 boys I am often jealous of the moms who have a girl. Girls talk. They tell you about everything - often whether you wanted to know or not.
Boys do not talk. Michael went to his first day scout camp yesterday and the day before. He came in the door very dirty, and carrying a trinket. When I asked him what he did at camp that day, he sat down, furrowed his brow, and looked at the ground. "Honey, what did you do today?" I reiterated. He smacked his forehead, looked straight at me and said, "I don't remember." Then he ran off. What is this? Early onset of alzheimers? Wow. 2 days of scout camp, 8 hours a day really made an impression on him, huh?
I should know better by now. He doesn't usually tell me much. This was the first time I got a forehead smack and absolutely NOTHING. Every time I've asked him about school he tells me he ate lunch and went to recess. He can't even tell me what he had for lunch. The only way I know anything about what ever happens to him is if I or someone who can actually narrate was there.
More firsts: my sister-in-law is having her fist boy after having three girls. To tell me my brother called and said, "His name is Paul." So, that makes her a Paul-bearer. Ha! She is excited and appealed to me as an expert on all things baby boy. She needed to know what things she needed that are different for a boy. It came down to four things: clothes, bedding, decorations & toys. The rest is adaptable. I did warn her that her wardrobe will have to change marginally. She may need a rainslicker for diaper changing. If you don't know why, change any baby boy. ;)
My sister, Liza, is pregnant with her first baby. She had the ultrasound today. Her husband Jared called and told me they know what it is, but they’re not going to tell me. For a second I was confused and hurt. Why would they not tell me? I needed to know to be able to share clothes, and make baby blankets! Then he asked what Mike & I were doing tonight... because they wanted to tell us in person! So we’re going on a double date. I am almost as excited as I was for my own babies. Stay tuned for an update…

No comments: