Thursday, August 21, 2008

Irony and taking steps!

Michael & Joshua started school today. In order pry the information that I usually don’t get from them I resorted to asking absurd questions. I don’t remember all of them, but at one point I fell back to the usual of at least trying to find out what Michael ate.

“What did you eat for lunch? Worms?”

“Mama! No! I had applesauce, grapes, and even watermelon…”

He went on, but that was obviously the highlight of his day. I fear for his future. Is it possible to have a job where all you do is eat? I’d say he could be a critic, but that would assume he would actually eat NEW foods.

Although in that case, Joshua is an even less likely candidate. Unless of course I go with him and he eats what I’ve ordered. Why is it that whatever Mama is having is so much more appealing that whatever she cooked for the kid? And things he declares ‘yucky’ when on his plate are simply irresistible on mamas?

Ah the irony.

And the irony continues. I asked Mike to travel lots this summer so we could go with him. He took vacation and just stayed home. And now that the boys are in school again, and it would be difficult, if not impossible, for me to go, he’s gone again.

But on a more positive note, Nathaniel is progressing. A few weeks ago he first started standing on his own. Today, while he was doing just that near me, he reached for me and took a step. I was delighted, so naturally I moved away from him. He was upset, but took one more step and then grabbed my hand. We repeated this little dance for a few more minutes. Batten down the hatches it won't be long now!

Of course, just becuase he'll be walking doesn't mean he will be any more hazardous. He already empties the trash (onto the floor!), the cupboards, and all my laundry baskets. (Mama! Let's play guess which ones are clean or dirty now?)

No comments: